Code 1.1

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Bring Kindness Where It Is Needed

It was a bleak Christmas for me. It was supposed to be a time for family, friends, loved ones. But oftentimes, it is the people closest to us who hurt us the most. So what do you do when you are surrounded by unkindness, indifference and coldness? Do you stop being kind? Do you stop loving?



Reflecting on the events of this year, I realized that a lot of people hurt me. Most of them were people I gave my time to and for people who really know me, they would know how much I value time. Time is a currency for me, something you can give and could never be taken back that's why I value it so much and if I give it to you, that's a part of me I'm giving. Apparently these people took it for granted and they had no idea how that has affected me so much. Near the holidays, more of them continued to break my heart until I began to dread Christmas.


Well, almost... until I decided to take back my life and celebrate Christmas for what it really is for: love and charity. Sadness is a choice and so is happiness so I chose to be happy... choose to be happy. And brave. So on Christmas day, I didn't go to our usual family reunion and went to Grace To Be Born instead.


I went here a few years back, at an outreach program by MaSiPaG and the experience was heartwarming for me. I've always loved children and longing for love, this is the first place that came to mind. 


I knew the Lord wanted me to be there that day because soon as I entered, someone called out to me and said that I looked familiar to her. Turned out it was a co-Feaster from the Feast Makati, sister Beng and we immediately hit it off, talking about our lives and why we were there. I could feel we were kindred spirits, both hurt but chose to serve rather than sulk. I got inspired by her dedication, choosing to spend the holidays here rather than celebrate with family like everyone else. Right then I whispered to my heart that I would include Grace To Be Born in the mission of MaSiPaG. 


Kindred spirits! With Sis Beng inside the nursery.

I think there were about 12 babies in the nursery and they certainly kept me on my toes in the 4 hours I was there. Beng was more admirable because I never saw her sit down in that duration while I was almost out of breath! Moreover, it was only her second day there but she already memorized all of the kids' names. I'm hoping I have somehow guessed the names on the photo captions here correctly. 


Smiling Face.
Ayesha was always smiling and
very charming.
Cutest and Noisiest.
Took several photos of Clarisse but
this little firecracker won't just stay put!

Honestly, I went here for selfish reasons. I was longing for warmth and the feeling to be needed so I went here thinking these babies would surely give me what I wanted. But looking into the eyes of these little miracles, they didn't care why you were there; all they cared about is that you are there for them when their own parents couldn't be even there for them. 


I became fond of one baby whose name is Marley. While all the other babies were crying out to me, pulling at my shirt and grabbing my arms, Marley just stood inside her crib, smiling at me whenever I passed her by, never vying for my attention but I knew better. This 9 month-old reminded me so much of myself: just quiet at her corner but you could see how hungry she was for love. And I felt it, when I took her in my arms and she buried her face so much on my chest I got worried she'd suffocate! 

Me and pretty Marley

I found what I was looking for at Grace To Be Born but the Lord gave me so much more by just being there. I learned that if people treat you bad when you treat them kindly, you don't stop being kind but instead bring kindness where it is needed. If I could adopt all of these beautiful children, I would but the most I could do for them right now is spread the word that they are here and that they need the tender loving care of parents. Donations in kind and cash are very much welcome. But if you are like me, you can give the gift of time to these little angels and let them feel warmth and love even for just a few hours.

For more information on Grace To Be Born, please contact them through the details below:

53 Dr. Sixto Antonio Ave., Bgy. Kapasigan, Pasig City 1600
Contact person: Rey Ortega
Email: reylindo.ortega@gmail.com
Phone numbers: 6541377 or 09328880780 or 09178164700


Here's wishing you all a Happy and Blessed New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Chitika